Thoughts on the 2010 Future’s Game…

July 12, 2010

Southern California – Okay…we had some mixed emotions in the household on Sunday about John Lamb and his absence in the “Future’s Game” at Anaheim, CA. Yesterday, before a game that I was coaching, in the San Diego area I was approached by a several associates in the game. A college coach I know, a couple of scouts and another parent of a player recently signed by the Chicago White Sox organization that was taken in the 2010 Major League Baseball draft, all of whom had some kind words about John Lamb and his current performance in his professional career.

All of them asked the question about the organizations decision to not allow John to take part in yesterday’s “Futures Game.,” at Angels Stadium. My answers were very short and to the point. I had no idea why he was not given the honor to play based on the current statistics, but those decisions were not mine and I’m not comfortable trying to speculate or second guess the Royals.

Sure it would have been nice to see my son pitch in an honorary game, less than 30 minutes from the house, but organizational decisions always have a purpose. I am simply the father of a Royals prospect that continues to feel blessed with my son’s opportunity to embark on living his dream. Not a day goes by that I don’t have tremendous gratitude for the Kansas City Royals taking John Lamb off the board in the 5th round of the 2008 MLB draft. I fully believe in my son, his talent, his work habits and his burning desire to play in the big leagues.

I would like to congratulate Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer for their nominations and performances during yesterday’s game that displayed the future of professional baseball. There is a lot of talent in the game throughout the minor league baseball system now and the Royals are one of many that have done a fantastic job, scouting, signing and developing players.

1. Jon permalink
    July 16, 2010 10:49

Mr. Lamb, As an avid Royals fan, and a real fan of their farm system, I want to tell you that I’m thoroughly impressed with your son John. I, like many here, are craving the days when this franchise is finally back to winning. And I feel like your son is going to be a huge part of that. I feel like your entire family should know that there is a large number of fans here in KC rooting and looking forward to seeing your son arrive in here in a Royals uniform.

As far as the Royals not letting (it sounds like) John participate in the Futures Game is a little disappointing to me and I’m sure ten fold for you, but it looks like there are much better things to come in the near future. Besides, being in the Futures Game doesn’t define your baseball career. John’s performance will. And I’m really looking forward to that…….

• July 16, 2010 11:30

Jon,

Thanks for the kind words…our family continues to be supportive and grateful to the Royals organization for all that they have done regarding my son’s professional baseball career. All a father can ask for is a chance for their son to perform…the Kansas City Royals continue to do that every 5-6 days. We look forward to every game and challenge along the way during this process.

2. Ryan permalink
    July 16, 2010 11:11

Each organization is only allowed 2 players in the futures game. As well as Lamb is doing (which is really, really good), it’s hard to beat out Hosmer and Moustakas for the honor of playing in the futures game.

• July 16, 2010 11:20

Ryan,
      I am aware of the 2 player rule…just happy that my son continues to show the baseball world his ability during the early stages of his professional career.

• Keith permalink
        July 16, 2010 11:54

So, if you are aware of the two player rule, who do you think he should have replaced? Moose or Hos? Your son is definitely having a great year and will likely be rewarded with another promotion. I can’t wait to see him in Kansas City when he makes it.

The two player rule is unfortunate, especially for a team like Kansas City that has such a loaded system. On the positive side, since he didn’t pitch there was no risk of injury and he can use his innings in games that count!

• July 16, 2010 14:40

Keith, I fully respect the decisions made by the Kansas City “brass” and I’m not comfortable with speculation, due in part to my position as a scout for the Florida Marlins organization. My son, will have plenty of opportunity with his current performance and missing the 2010 Futures Game, based on a rule, has had no impact on his current position on the ERA leader board throughout all Minor League levels.

From a father’s perspective, it simply would have been great to have seen him play at Anaheim in that event, but I remain optimistic that he will have that chance soon enough.

3. bas permalink
    July 16, 2010 12:39

I was wondering why the Royals did not have more players at the Futures Game, but the 2 player rule makes it make sense. I love paying attention to John (even listened to the game last night where he struck out 4 batters in an inning!), and am positive he will do well. I also have no doubt John will get a crack at the Futures Game next year (assuming his amazing performances keep up) and perhaps the AFL this year.

Look forward to seeing him play for KC sometime soon!

• July 16, 2010 14:48

Bas,

Thanks for the kind words and following my son’s season. We continue to be very proud of the early stages in his professional baseball career and the organization that has given him this great opportunity. A Futures Game, any All-Star game, or the AFL would be nice for him, but I know what John Lamb really wants…his eyes are on Kaufman Stadium and contributing to a Championship!

4. Josh permalink
    July 16, 2010 15:17

Just wanted to say that your son is probably my favorite Royals prospect. When the opposing pitcher hit Myers the other night you son came out and plunked the first guy then sat the next three down. We are craving that kind of baseball mentality in KC (Only Greinke will stand up for the batters). I hope John gets promoted to AA here soon so I can drive down to the park and watch him pitch in person.

• July 16, 2010 15:45

Josh,

Glad that you are a John Lamb fan…he has never been afraid to pitch on the inner half of the plate. The way I recall the HBP…it was a 1-2 count and a CB that hit the batter and got the Keys coach all excited. I doubt that was an intention to send a message, since both dug-outs had already been warned…but only the Blue Rocks really know. I can guarantee that John will always protect his team and never shy away from sending messages, if needed!

We also, hope that he can continue to be challenged during his minor league development with a call to AA, soon. Afterall, Arkansas is a little closer to the Left-coast for our travels!

5. Jim permalink
    July 16, 2010 16:33

Hi Mr Lamb,

Just stumbled across the post, and wanted to let you know that Royals fans (even all ONE of us here in WV;) ) are excited about the future, with your son being an integral piece of the organization. As you said, you are aware of the two player rule. The blog did come across a bit as if you weren’t aware of it, or thought he was more deserving than the two players selected. That’s probably why you’ve gotten some of the comments. That said, John was very deserving as well, and hopefully we’ll see him there next year! Good luck to you all in his journey to the majors.

• July 16, 2010 21:46

Jim,

Glad the lone Royals fan from WV checked in and that you shared your opinion of John. My intentions were not to trigger a thread of any debate about the Futures Game selections, but to simply point out the obvious. I have no problems at all with the Royals and continue to thank the blessings they have provided my son for all his oppotunities. Thank you for the well wishes journey his journey!

6. glp permalink
    July 19, 2010 14:50

Hope you see this, since it’s three days after your original post…Just wanted to point out that the Royals are not solely responsible for their representatives in the Futures Game, in case you didn’t know. Per MiLB.com, “Major League Baseball, in conjunction with the Major League Baseball Scouting Bureau, MLB.com, Baseball America and the 30 Major League Clubs, selected the 25-man rosters for each club.”

I imagine it was really tough to pick exactly which two Royals should go, so many of them are having great years. That said, I would especially have loved to see John as I’m such a huge fan of pitching. John has definitely joined my list of “can’t wait to see him in KC” guys, and I know I’m not alone.

• July 19, 2010 15:30

GLP,

Thanks for including additional explanation to visitors with regard to the selection process of the Futures Game. There are plenty of daily decisions throughout professional baseball that can be very difficult for players, fans and families to digest. Our family remains steadfast with deep appreciation to the Kansas City Royals organization for everything they have done to provide my son, John, a chance to fulfill his dreams. It is great to hear that my son has generated some interest during his young career of professional baseball. Thanks for the visit and comments.