Lamb doing the right thing for fans

August 2, 2010

Orange County, CA – Late last night I received an email from another acquaintance that almost brought some tears to my eyes. I know this might seem a little corny to some, but it makes me extremely happy to know that my son, John Lamb, appears to be doing the right thing for the fans of baseball. It is very important that all professional baseball players take the time to personalize the game and give a little back to the “fans.”

Without the fans, coming through the gates at minor league baseball ballparks or the Major League Baseball stadiums, the game itself would hang in jeopardy. Fans have an indirect impact on a professional athlete’s income potential during their career and the quicker a player can realize this significance, the better.

Photo credit - Daniel Ware

John’s first Spring training in 2009 has some special memories that I would like to share. As most of you know, John was forced to sit out majority of 2008 from any games due to the auto accident injury. So when he indicated that he was finally going to throw in a competitive simulated game during his first Spring training, we scampered across the desert to Surprise, AZ to watch his special day with the Royals

Just before Lamb headed into the simulated game, he was standing by the trainer talking. A little boy, no taller than John’s belt, pulled on his pant leg and asked for his autograph. I was standing about 60 feet away, surrounded by Royals coaches, players, administrative staff and other personnel while I held back tears of joy and reality that my son is now someone else’s hero and truly living his dream.

I’m confident that was not his first autograph, nor will it be his last. I am sure that I share the same feeling that every parent has about watching their son sign an autograph for a fan. Whether at the ballpark or out in the community it only takes a minute to bring some happiness to the fan of baseball. Thanks again to the Kansas City Royals organization for helping my son become somebody’s hero during his life’s journey.

1. August 2, 2010 14:44

I remember like it was yesterday. Just reading your blog today brought tears to my eyes.
    I remember you telling John when he was little that players should always remember the fans. To make sure to always give them the time, because without them there is no game.

I’m happy to see that he listened!

Great pic and wonderful way to share it with all the followers.

I’m so proud of you both!

2. Clint permalink
    August 2, 2010 22:43

I just stumbled across your site looking for some more info on John and other prospects on the fast(er) track to KC. I don’t usually leave comments but just wanted to let you know how cool it must be for John to type in a web address and see how proud his dad is every day. My dad is super proud of me too, but you writing this blog to express it really is something special. Can’t wait to see John pitching lights out at The K when he gets to town!

• August 3, 2010 15:16

Clint,

Thanks for the visit and comments. I am pretty amazed at the following my son has managed to create during the early stages of his professional career, not to mention the large number of sites that comment about him. Kansas City has plenty of reasons to smile and look forward to the future of the organization. We are all very happy that John has the opportunity to be a part of that process.

3. Jay Day permalink
    August 3, 2010 00:28

Mr. Lamb your words are so true and heart felt. Your son made an instant impact on my 9 year old son Drake, and many of his friends. Half of Drake’s class showed up when John Lamb stopped by for a cook-out with his Burlington Bee’s host family. Our whole neighborhood talks about him and many will stop by for a cold beer and ask how he is doing. Not a game goes by at our community ball park where someone doesn’t stop my wife Jill, or I, or even Drake for that matter and ask about the Lefty and how he is doing! It will be a pleasure to watch him in KC and on TV. The Royals made an excellent decision with John Lamb.

• August 3, 2010 15:26

Jay Day and family,

Thanks for the visit and comments. We remain steadfast with our appreciation towards your family for everything you provided John during the start of this season in Burlington, IA. Every family that opens their home, like yours, is an important part of the minor league baseball structure around the country. I am glad that your family had the chance to get to know my son on a personal level that. Many peolple seem to forget the personal side of professional athletes. It is really great to know that John left a lasting impression in Burlington, IA. Stay in touch and again thanks for everything!

4. August 3, 2010 12:31

Believe it or not, signing autographs for kids especially leave a lasting impact. It maintains the human element of the game and creates trust and loyalty.

I will never forget receiving three autographs when I was a kid and I’m still loyal to them today.

1. Ken Griffey Jr.
    2. Harold Reynolds
    3. Omar Vizquel

Good things usually happen to those who give of their time and personalize the game.

• August 3, 2010 15:37

Jeff,

Thanks for the visit and comments. I could not agree more with your comments and I still have my autographed items from my early trips to the ballpark. Stan Musial and Willie Mays were the biggest icons that ever gave me an autograph in person around the ballpark and both sit/hang proudly in the office. Many more ignored me than offered the few seconds it took to sign a ball, picture or trading card. Again, I am happy to note that John continues to connect with the fans of the game.