Posts seem to be misunderstood about Lamb

August 22, 2010

Orange County, CA – Some of my recent posts seem to be misunderstood about my son, John Lamb, who is now pitching with the Northwest Arkansas Naturals in the Texas League, which is the Double-A level affiliate for the Kansas City Royals organization. Our return, early evening yesterday, from the long trip to Springdale, AR warranted a good night’s rest before attempting to clarify any misunderstandings.

Photo credit - Colleen Lamb

I don’t know a “dad” alive that doesn’t have an opinion about their son (or daughter) with regard to their career path and the steps along the way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and some are willing to share. I can deny comments, but refuse to block anyone that has the courage to share whether informed, ignorant, nice, mean or even askew.

This forum was set up with a simple philosophy and three guidelines for all my posts.

1. Report on his games
  2. Share “some” of the experiences during his baseball career
  3. Not be offensive towards anyone during the process

During this process, I have apparently portrayed myself, to a “few,” that I am a complete “idiot” about baseball and that I have offended a “few” while simply sharing my ideas, or perceptions, of John’s performances. I sincerely apologize if anyone has taken offense to any of my posts and I’m very confident about my personal knowledge about the game of baseball.

I am not driven to change, impact or direct my son’s professional baseball career in any way, shape or form. The decisions by the Royals are just as dynamic as the other 29 professional baseball clubs. By being a supportive “dad,” whom has taken some time to share with anyone that wants to read my ideas, I know for a fact has had “zero” gravity with the Royals decisions on John Lamb and his career. John is the only one that will impact the Royals choices during his professional career playing baseball. Our family remains extremely grateful towards the Kansas City Royals for my son’s opportunity to live his childhood dream and develop his baseball talent.

I realized when I started this site, there would be some misunderstanding over some of my opinions, but I must confirm that they are mine alone and not John Lamb speaking thru this forum. Currently, the only team that cares about my baseball opinions is the Florida Marlins and I can guarantee you will never know about those specific ideas.

I strongly suggest that you read the disclaimer in my bio area and understand that I will continue to post my opinions, experiences and information about the path of my son’s baseball career through a proud “dad’s” eyes.

1. kcscoliny permalink
    August 22, 2010 14:55

Its too bad fans and others feel this way. I think you are just showing your side of the process as a father who can only get to a few games looking on from a semi-inside semi-outside point of view.

What was his velocity? Has he started to use his slider yet?

• August 22, 2010 15:01

KCsColiny,

Thanks for the visit, comment and questions. Water on a “ducks” back, or in this case “lamb’s” back…his fastball velocity was 91-94…I didn’t see any sliders come out of his hand!

2. August 22, 2010 15:24

Mr. Lamb, I am sorry that some feel the way you described. I enjoy reading your blog and a father’s perspective. I hope your son turns out to be a great success in everything he does in his life.

• August 22, 2010 16:08

Kris,

Thanks for the visit and comment. I am happy to hear you enjoy your visits and perspective.

3. glp permalink
    August 22, 2010 22:19

I’m sure you know that there are ogres out there, who are quick to spring on every word and portray it in a negative light. Please remember that there are those of us who embrace your comments and look forward to the bits of insight you provide into a world about which our knowledge is small.

4. greg permalink
    August 23, 2010 04:12

I really enjoy your prospective. I follow John’s progress thru the box scores as best i can. I have become a Naturals fan this season and hope to make the trip to springdale for the playoffs. Please keep up the good work!

• August 23, 2010 10:50

Greg,

Thanks for the visit and comment. I am glad to know that the site continues to bring some enjoyment for visitors. Hope you enjoy your trip to Springdale for the playoffs and the Naturals fair well during the game! Arvest Ballpark is a great place to see a game and I’m sure you will have a good time!

5. August 23, 2010 09:58

glp,

Thanks for the continued support and understanding…it is nice to know that most get the idea of me simply sharing our experiences during this wonderful journey. Win, lose or no decision…not a day goes by when we are not reminded of our blessings on and off the field!

6. SBE permalink
    August 23, 2010 12:06

Appreciate the honesty and insight in your posts. Please don’t let a few rude comments made under the guise of anonymity convince you to do anything different with your blog. You can’t please everyone in life.

John has had a tremendous season. Hopefully he works hard in the offseason and comes back even better in 2011.

• August 23, 2010 13:55

SBE,

Thanks for the visit and comment. I really appreciate the kindness by the majority of the visitors to this site. I can only hope right along with you, and others, that John continues to work hard and make the adjustments in order to further his career in the game.

7. Frederick permalink
    August 23, 2010 21:29

Haters gon’ hate.

Let me tell you, James, I really like your blog and I can completely understand how excited you must be to see your son succeed throughout multiple levels of the minors.

Keep up with this blog, as it is something that us fans don’t get a chance to see too often (a proud father’s insights into the life of his pro baseball son).

Best to you and your son,
    Frederick

P.S., what’s with the tats?!?!?

• August 24, 2010 09:39

Frederick,

Thank you for the visit and comment. Glad to know that there is some appreciation for the simple concept found on this site.

P.S. Sorry, but I really have no ideas regarding all the ink.

8. Chris permalink
    August 24, 2010 10:04

James,

As I have said before I really enjoy reading your thoughts and have used some of your insight in dealing with my own step son and his struggles with the game of baseball. Please keep up with the posts as they are becoming a daily lunch stop. I once read that minor league pitching numbers can be quite misleading sometimes. Where the organization will want you to go out and pitch with 2 pitches only just to work on command and those two pitches could be your worst ones leading to inflated numbers. My guess if that statement above is a true statement then that is probably why you didn’t see any sliders from John. Your son is one of my personal favorites in the Royals Minor League System and I look forward to seeing him pitch opening day in the not to distant future. Look forward to more insight from you!!!

Chris

9. August 24, 2010 13:19

Chris,

I appreciate your continued comments and following of my son. There are plenty of development decisions in baseball that can be difficult to digest, at times. John is still working hard to move forward from his performances, rather than dwell on results. The game of baseball can humble many during their careers and the good one’s will continue to grow from their humble experiences.

10. Megan permalink
    August 25, 2010 11:22

James, I really love the blog. No misunderstanding here. All proud dad coming through. I have enjoyed reading about John and it helps me keep up with our Orange County boys. Keep it coming.

• August 26, 2010 10:24

Megan,

Thanks for the visit and comment. Glad to know there are plenty who enjoy the efforts. No worries about the continued updates from OC…good or bad!

11. TPiazza permalink
    August 26, 2010 09:31

James,

I finally caught up…. and had to laugh while reading a particular post by “Hmmmm”. If only he had a clue as to what you were refering to when bringing up “disrupted tempo of the game”… and other things for that matter.
    Stay a proud father of an exceptional “lefty”…. and continue being the baseball guy that you are.

p.s. it was great seeing you guys last week!!

• August 26, 2010 10:58

TPiazza,

Great to see you also…wish we could have seen the little one, or your “better-half” during our brief stay.

Thanks again for your imput on the site!

12. Tony Haynes permalink
    September 4, 2010 06:41

I have a 15 year old catcher and an 8-yr old that plays anywhere you tell him to! I live in Houston now but grew up in KC and am still a huge Royals fan. I am excited for the future with guys like your son, Crow, Duffy, Montgomery, etc. progressing through the system! You SHOULD be a very proud dad. You can count on me being a regular visitor to your site. Keep the posts coming and keep the “water flowing off your back” 🙂 Your son just got a new fan.

• September 4, 2010 12:25

Tony,

Thanks for the visit and kind comments. Happy to hear my son has another fan during his journey. We are very proud and glad to connect with other baseball families and fans of the game.

Trackbacks