Food poison disrupts next Lamb start

August 24, 2010

Springdale, AR – A phone call last night from John Lamb indicated he will not start tonight to open the Northwest Arkansas Naturals last road trip of the regular season in Springfield, MO due to food poisoning, as diagnosed by the team doctor. Apparently during his charting duties behind home plate he fell ill and needed to stay in the clubhouse during the violent experience of losing all that he had recently eaten. He also indicated losing the battle to stay on schedule to pitch in tonight’s game against the Springfield Cardinals, Texas League affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals

The coaching staff decided to bump Lamb a couple of days when he will attempt to help his team win on the road. The Naturals site does not show the details of this plan as of posting this article.

Photo credit - Colleen Lamb

I share similar experiences with many other parents whom have their kids far away from home and nothing can be done to bring them comfort. There is nothing like a clear dose of helplessness for a concerned parent. Physical and mental health is vital for everyone during their daily life. Many young men are expected to endure the minor hurdles associated with the grind of a very long baseball season but sometimes the body doesn’t allow the mind to overcome it’s obstacle. So for now, it is time to wait and see when John will have another opportunity to collect his first Double-A win of the season.

Although slightly disappointed with the current chain of events, John revealed that he is looking forward to implementing some simple adjustments during his next start. He has worked hard between starts to prepare for better results. The last few starts of his professional baseball career has been tough to swallow for some, but I can confidently say that John has remained positive during this process of development.

While the Naturals, Texas League affiliate of the Kansas City Royals, close in on the end of a very productive season the Lamb family and friends will patiently await the return of John Lamb into the rotation following a minor setback from food poisoning.

1. glp permalink
    August 24, 2010 22:27

Best that John take a day or two off to recover, although I appreciate his competitive desire for an immediate rebound. And it’s probably extra disappointing for him since this is the second time he’s had a start delayed due to illness since arriving in Northwest Arkansas. The effects of food poisoning are deceptively dehydrating and could have severe consequences, especially given how hot and humid our Missouri summer has been this year. I’m sure in retrospect that he’ll be glad that he was held back until feeling 100%.

• August 25, 2010 09:53

glp,

Could not agree more…just glad that the coaches held their ground for him to recover from the side affects.

2. Ron Eppes permalink
    August 25, 2010 09:09

Just had a touch of that over the weekend, lost 5 lbs in 48 hours. My advice is to stay away from that leftover chicken that’s been in the fridge for a week or so! Hope he’s better soon, get healthy first and then play ball!

• August 25, 2010 10:04

Ron,

I’m sure he may have lost a few pounds over the recent battle, but when we were out there last week he was sitting at 215. Ironic that you comment about “chicken,” it sounded like that may have been the root evil in the equation following conversations with my wife.

My wife is in food services and she warned John about the dangers of certain foods, which include rice, beans, chicken and pork. Apparently, all have the highest threats to ecoli poisoning in the industry. John should be clear about those threats now.

He was feeling much better yesterday and I’m sure even better today.

3. August 25, 2010 10:14

I was disappointed to see that John wasn’t pitching when I checked the box score that evening. Good to see that it wasn’t something very serious although it could have been!

• August 26, 2010 10:18

awzrocks,

Thanks for the visit and comment. We share your disappointment and hope he is feeling good for tonight’s start in Springfield, MO. Sounded like he is ready for another trip to the mound!

• August 26, 2010 12:43

I saw him walking through the concourse last night and then down to the dugout. I didn’t get a chance to say hello, but he seemed to be feeling okay. I hope he beats up on the Cardinals for me having to go watch an L last night!

4. August 26, 2010 13:22

Drew,

Thanks for the visit and comment. Glad to know about your perception and we too hope he cracks thru the AA wall tonight against the Cardinals…giving his team a chance to win.

Eventhough, my wife is a long time Cardinals fan, I’m sure she is pulling for the “lefty” tonight!

5. August 29, 2010 07:33

The person who has posted has done seems to be a good hard worker. The post itself reveals how much he has worked to create it. Awesome post. Thank you very much.

• August 29, 2010 12:29

Acne,

Thanks for the visit and comment. Not sure over the relevence of your links but I do appreciate the compliment!

6. August 30, 2010 00:39

gracias for writing so much in your blog.. Greets,