Quiet off-season for John Lamb

November 30, 2010

Laguna Hills, CA – Family’s associated with professional baseball cherish the off-season in their own special ways. Our family’s time with John Lamb has remained relatively uneventful since his last assignment for the Northwest Arkansas Naturals during game 3 of the Texas League Championship series. Uneventful, in terms of professional baseball as directed by the Kansas City Royals organization. We get limited opportunity to spend time with him now simply due to his continued stay in Surprise, AZ to use the training facility.

Photo credit - Colleen Lamb

Time off from baseball for John Lamb is…really quite basic…rest and recover from the grind of a full season. He started throwing again the Monday before Thanksgiving with another Royals farm-hand during their stay at the house. John, of course, stayed through the Thanksgiving dinner while Tyler Sample boarded a flight home the day before. It is great to get the chance to visit with any of my son’s baseball associations during these early stages of his professional baseball career. I wonder how many “Big Leaguers” have been in our house? Only time can answer that question and I hope we get an autograph, if nothing else, down the road if that might happen without having to shop on eBay.

The year round concentration on the game of baseball has been common for many years now within the Lamb house and likely to stay during the near future. All 30 baseball organizations deal with the break in different ways and all spend plenty of hours debating ways to improve their club. This off-season schedule for John Lamb has been directed by the Kansas City Royals with the principle goal of being ready for his 2011 Spring training assignment. Rest seemed to be the primary theme following his first full season in his young pro baseball career. Conditioning and physical development will continue to be the main focus during the break. This direction is similar to the past on time to simply relax and unwind from the grind of a long professional baseball season.

As most of you know, the typical American family does not have 4 months of time off from their jobs and in complete reality neither does a professional athlete. The work really never stops if you want to make your goals in the game, especially during the off-season.

So for now, we will patiently wait for the return of John Lamb during Christmas and continue to smile with pride when his name is mentioned on a Major League Baseball, Kansas City Royals, Baseball America, Minor League Baseball or other media related site that comments and speculates during the off-season about professional baseball.

1. glp permalink
    December 1, 2010 13:14

James, thanks for the offseason update. I too have had many smiles reading about John and his teammates on various prospecting sites this fall, and there are still more to come.

Can’t wait for next season; I’m thinking of making a side trip to Springdale next summer during my annual Ozarks vacation. But since that will be late July, I’m actually crossing my fingers that everybody I want to see will be in Omaha by then…because that will mean that all is going well! (Plus it would give me an excuse to visit my brother, who literally lives across the street from the Storm Chasers’ new stadium!)

• December 2, 2010 09:14

glp,

Yes…pleanty of media floating around this time of year. The Kansas City Royals family and fans surely have a bright future. Best of luck trying to align your summer travels for some baseball and Happy Holidays!

2. Chris permalink
    December 2, 2010 10:48

James,

Thanks for the update. I have really enjoyed reading the successes of the royals farm system this offseason. Most experts are saying the Royals have the Number 1 farm system in all of baseball and your son is a big reason for it. I look forward to the year ahead and following John on his quest to become a major league pitcher.

3. December 2, 2010 12:21

Chris,

Thanks for your feedback and I know that there are lots of Royals fans excited about the team’s future. Take care…

4. Jaguar permalink
    December 15, 2010 15:43

James,

I offer another hearty thanks of appreciation as a reader & follower of these blogs. It is very neat of you to take the time to give us updates even in the offseason. As a recent Royals fan who hails from California (circa ’07 when KC selected Chatswood High School star Michael Moustakas), i am thrilled to know we have John aboard the future wave of what I consider to be one of the deepest collection of youngsters in Major League History.

Upon entering the ’08 draft i was fortunate to head over to Visalia and check out fellow farmhand Mike Montgomery but did not get to see your boy as he had already suffered his hairline fracture. Christmas came early for me when the Royals landed both of them in addition to Eric Hosmer. Eventually i saw John various times from Wilmington to his Texas League Championship start against Midland.

I try not to invoke bias while tempering my expectations but I still have no doubt in John Lamb. I can envision a World Series title on the horizon which i understand is a bold thing to say. When it happens, I can’t wait to hear your exuberant reaction. I truly respect and enjoy your contributions and the manner by which you support your son. A toast to the Lamb family.

• December 17, 2010 19:04

Jaguar,

Thank you for your recent visit and kind comments. I am glad that this forum has found another fan of my son. We share the bright optimism for the Kansas City Royals future and hope that John gets the oppotunity to contribute soon.

Happy Holidays to you and yours and we look forward to your additional thoughts during his Royals journey.

5. December 17, 2010 09:20

Very interesting and helpful information in this article. Thanks a lot for posting. I like the way of your thinks and Im lookin’ forward

6. RoyalsFan permalink
    January 4, 2011 09:04

James,

I have a couple of questions about John’s repertoire. Does he throw a two-seam fastball in addition to his four-seam? Is his changeup conventional or a circle change? Thanks in advance and great site!